look at several lenses:
social stratification, the global economy, culture&consumption
- revenge of the push cart – in the past dirty, now fun.
- even art in all the revived downtown are the same – painted cows (started: local, chicago) have become generic. you got to have it if you want to compete. sophisticated, ‘with-it’
- boston: ‘the big-dig’, from highway to greenway
- a hierarchy of global cities is forming. a celeb architect helps.
- in revived festive market places there is a commodization of local knowledge. e.g best restauarants have a branch in tel aviv port.
discussion and terms:
duke ellington, ‘tourist point of view‘, far east suite
check also the song, ‘down town‘ by petula clark
the difference and hierarchy between people who work in highrise and those we clear the waste baskets
a place to stroll. icon of the city.from authentic view of a city, to becoming the same across the globe. e.g. harbor place baltimore md, fisherman’s wharf, SF, CA
a man scaring people tipped by others. if you are frightened, you wait to see another frightened
‘the point’, blue to white colloar, industry to office, rail to road, dirty to clean, hapazard to planned
- Remembering James Rouse from the website of The NewsHour
- Spring 1988 cover story on Rouse from Blueprints magazine
- Wye Island by Boyd Gibbons is a book about a development that James Rouse planned but never built on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
- Better Places, Better Lives: A Biography of James Rouse by Joshua Olsen is the authoritative biography of James Rouse.
- National Public Radio interviewed Joshua Olsen about his book.
- Merchant of Illusion: James Rouse, America’s Salesman of the Businessman’s Utopia is a more critical and academic treatment of Rouse’s life.
- Jim Rouse: Capitalist/Idealist by Paul Marx describes the high and low points of Rouse’s life and career
fulton fish market, lower manhatten. recently moved to bronx. no longer appropriate city activity. rouse turns it into pier 17
riverfront walk in san antonio, tx.
The other side
the immigrant express, queens new york. you are travelling through worlds, cultures and values to the other side of the city