10 years ago i had a plan
i had just finished INSEAD, considered a top MBA school, and perhaps the best out-side the USA, home of Capitalism.
MBA is where you learn to swim with sharks, taught that the purpose or raison d’etre of a company is to create shareholder value, and success is measured by numbers. usually with the ‘$’ in front of the number.
by contrast, at the Yale World Fellows Program, people are measured another way.
how much have you helped others.
anyhow, learning marketing and as a young MBA, i came up with a personal development program, and i even branded it: “10 x 10”
work like a dog for 10 years and make $10M
it is now 10 years later. (actually more). and i can report that i get high grades. i did work like a dog for 10 years.
so much for long term planning.
i guess setting the right goals may matter more.
or perhaps the goal is not to have goals?
looking for my 10×10 plan, i ran into an email i sent in 1998, trying to report to a long lost friend about my top 10 events in the 10 year 1988-1998
it is fun to make such a list and recommend that you do as well
i will try to make one up for 1999-2009 in a future post.
anyhow, here is the list from July, 1998
Top ten events of last 10 years:
the 1998 NBA finals in one day (june 14, 1998). Our responsibility as sports fans sometimes is
just too demanding.
9. A week in Tuscany. living in a rented room with the locals. one hill away
8. Getting into INSEAD (fontainebleau, France =MBA) on the day i was told i must undergo a back surgery as a dislocated disc was harming the nerves leading to my left leg.
7. Ski in Val D’Isere with friends. great white slopes, blue skies, silence (despite a back surgery 18 month earlier)
6. The sand sea and sun of the Mediterranean sea, the colors, sounds and scents
of open-air markets, the dreams, hopes and laughs of night time conversation
5. working in Venture Capital
4. 1997 – france
3. the first 3 hours of Jan 17th (?). 1991 when Sadam bombed us. was in the bathroom
with Limor believing for a while that when we walk out alive, most people will not.
2. birth, living with and friendship with 6.5 years old daughter – Carmel
1. sharing my life with Limor.
birth of child number two (yuval-girl, 4 years old) and number 3 (gil – boy – 6