a great new restaurant opened up this summers in jerusalem מחניהודה.
finally, for the first time in a long time, there is fresh reason to travel to jerusalem on a summer’s eve
it has a lot of what you want in a restaurant:
- it is located in the market
- it has dishes you have never tasted before
- it is authentic
- prices are extremely affordable
- service is friendly
- the waitresses are different than the ones in telaviv. here you are part of a community, not a post-modern urbanite
here is another review
just go there.
this was supposed to be the end of the post, but wanted to share a few more thoughts about the name and its meaning for me:
- מחנה-יהודה is actually camp judaea the young Zionist movement in the USA
- if our state was not called israel, what would it be called? (palestine is taken). i suppose judea, which is also the root of the name for our religion. so we are all in the same camp, camp judea. כל ישראל חברים , or , “כל ישראל ערבים זה לזה”. we lost a bit of that, havn’t we?
- one of the songs which excites me the most every independence day is שאו ציונה נס ודגל, which flag? דגל מחנה יהודה
- i was born in a neighborhood of Petach Tikva called מחנה יהודה (which by the way had a great footbal team). that’s where my roots are. like it, or not. i like it.